My alarm went off at 4am, and I quickly dressed and dashed downstairs to the wi-fi area to check the Peggy’s Cove Webcam. It was difficult to see much in the dark, but it looked fog-free, so I texted Darren and he responded with an enthusiastic ‘On my way!’. It was quite cloudy, but not to be discouraged we set up our cameras and tripods in a very light rain and waited for sunrise. Gradually the sky lighted but produced no colour whatsoever. It seemed like we could not get a break. We shot anyway, making the most of our circumstances. There is a reason Peggy’s Cove is the most photographed lighthouse on earth. It really is a beautiful setting even in the worst light. We stopped for breakfast in Banford and spent the rest of the morning driving the windy coastal roads. We took advantage of every possible scene, from lily pads to boathouses. By noon we had put in an 8 hour day.
Though the weather here was at last free of fog, out in the Atlantic it was pouring rain at Sable. Visibility was low and the beach used for a landing strip was getting soaked. Our window of opportunity was now down to 4 days. My little room at the university began to feel like a jail cell. It was half the size of a box stall and the florescent lights, shared bathroom and kitchen facilities clearly had not been upgraded since the 70’s. It was hot and humid and the only place in the entire building with air conditioning was the cafeteria which was only open until 10am.
Joan and Claudia had rented a car and were jaunting around the province and I had not seen them in two days. I knew that they were getting discouraged and I could only hope that everyone stayed focused on what we had come here to do and did not get drawn into a negative spin of baling out on the flight to Sable. There was still enough time to accomplish our goals. We just needed a little break. The best news we had was that Gerry had approached his superiors to please relax some of the rules to allow his backlog of flights to get into Sable. This had been conditionally granted, which meant we could still try to get in on the weekend. The weather was supposed to be clear on the weekend, but the questioned remained whether the runway could be made operable. A beautiful sunset and stars visible boded well for the morning. We would check in with Maritime at 6:45am and see if our luck had turned.